For this months addition to the Berube-Bug mailart project I decided to go a slightly different route. Still using printmaking and linocut as the primary method of creating multiple images, I decided to implement a technique call Chine-Colle' to add color to each and every postcard going out. Here is a brief definition from Wikipedia of what the Chine-Colle' technique of printmaking entails.
"Chine-collé is a special technique in printmaking in which the image is transferred to a surface that is bonded to a heavier support in the printing process. One purpose is to allow the printmaker to print on a much more delicate surface, such as Japanese paper or linen, which pulls finer details off the plate. Another purpose is to provide a background color behind the image that is different from the surrounding backing sheet."
"The final image will depend on the design and ink color of the printed image, the color and opacity of the paper to which the image is directly printed (plus any inclusions such as petals or fibers in that paper), and the color of the backing sheet."
- As you'll notice with the sample I'm documenting here, not all layered colors work that well. I have other prints from the edition where the color selection is far more successful but since I documented all of the steps with this particular color combination I figured I'd follow through and show the results, good, bad or otherwise.
*As far as the image for this months Berube-Bug, I'll leave that up to you for interpretation. ;0)
SKETCH ON LINOLEUM
INKED LINO W/COLOR PAPER DOT SELECTION
INKED LINO W/FIRST LAYER OF COLOR PAPER DOTS APPLIED
INKED LINO W/SECOND LAYER OF COLOR PAPER DOTS AND GLUE
FINAL PRINTED IMAGE
A FEW OF THE PRINTS