Help Me Volunteer In Thailand And Laos

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

CORNER OF 52nd & 10th, NYC - AKA: THE VORTEX

This is the apartment I live in at the corner of 52nd Street and 10th Avenue in a little place called Manhattan in a little neighborhood called "Hell's Kitchen".

At 17 years this year, It's the only place I've lived longer than the home that I was raised in. With my studio located in the front corner room, (count up 2 windows from the corner of the building). Over the years, it's become the center of my Universe. I've seen a couple roommates come and go, a couple boyfriends come and go, a couple dogs come, (The Mimz is still here.... and well, one ex is still here), but most importantly, I'm still here watching the world from my little corner.

Below are a few of the steps I go through to finish one of these itty-bitty, little 5" X 5" paintings.










4 comments:

Gardeningbren said...

I really enjoyed seeing the process (thinking all the while, how does he do that).

You have tagged this acrylic painting, so you water the acrylic down to a wash?

Only seventeen..wow! Great art at such a young age.

Gardeningbren said...

oops..misread the 17 year thing!! sorry.

David Berube BerubeArt said...

Yep, I usually start with a base wash, find my darks and lights, then add additional colors adding thicker and thicker paint until it's not really watered down at all. I like the "feel" it gives to the images. Allows some spots to be more "finished" than others. And.... I wouldn't want to be 17 again. But if I painted like this when I was 17, holy crap. ;0)

Gardeningbren said...

Big Grin!!

Really wonderful work, and I so enjoy seeing how it unfolds from the sketch to the end.