Help Me Volunteer In Thailand And Laos

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade..... Kind of

NOVEMBER 28 2006

Every year around midnight, on the eve of Thanksgiving we get to see all of the various floats going up 10th avenue past my apartment on their way up to where they line up for the beginning of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It's a bit surreal seeing all of the components of a parade, excluding the various balloons of course, making their way up the street doing 35/40 miles per hour, without any indication of the fact that the next day these very same floats will be crawling along at a snails pace properly adorned with costumed, smiling participants waving in the official beginning of the holiday season.
And every year I think about the crazy crowds and the overall lack of good viewing vantage points, (I'm only 5'6" and hate crowds), and I realise that this is my Thanksgiving Day Parade tradition. It may not be just like being at the parade, but it's fine by me.

No comments: